Costa Smeralda is a cruise ship operated by Costa Cruises, a subsidiary of Carnival Corporation.
The new Excellence-class vessel was delivered in December 2019. Costa Smeralda is the first liquefied natural gas (LNG)-powered cruise ship in the fleet of Costa Cruises. The christening ceremony of the ship was held in February 2020.
The construction of Costa Smeralda began with its first steel cut at the Meyer shipyard in Turku in September 2017. Meyer Turku collaborated with the Meyer Werft Papenburg shipyard to develop and integrate the LNG propulsion plant for the ship. Jeffrey Beers International, Dordoni Architetti, Partner Ship Design, and Rockwell Group designed the interiors of the ship.
The float-out ceremony for Costa Smeralda was held in March 2019, marking the beginning of the final stage of construction. Costa Smeralda cruise ship deck plan has a total of 2612 staterooms for 5282 passengers (max capacity 6554), served by 1678 crew/staff. The boat has 20 decks (16 passenger-accessible, 11 with cabins), 11 restaurants, 4 swimming pools, 2-deck Theater Lounge, Disco (Silent Party, Virtual Band music), Casino (gaming lounge and bar), 22 elevators, no self-service laundromats.
- The 3-deck Colosseo Lounge (midship show lounge on 3 levels) features large LED screens on its glass walls and dome.
- Piazza di Spagna is a 3-deck aft-facing Atrium stairway with an open-air terrace and glass floor on its top level.
- Passeggiata Volare is a Skywalk (glass-bottomed walkway) located 65 m / 213 ft above sea level.
- The bow-located Trastevere is a Venice-style square (piazza) with Il Bacaro, Gelateria Amarillo, retail shops, live music entertainment.
- Museum of Italian design – CoDe (Costa Design) is fleet’s first Costa Design Museum – sized 400 m2 and curated by Matteo Vercelloni (Italian designer and architect).
- The list of bars and lounges includes Ferrari Spumante Spazio Bollicine (sparkling wine bar), Aperol Spritz Bar, Campari Bar, Nutella Cafe.
- Ship’s Spa complex includes Hammam Room (Turkish Bath), Thalassotherapy Pool, 16 treatment rooms (for massages), Snow Room, Salt Room, Relaxation Room (spa lounge), Beauty Salon. The Gym has the latest Technogym equipment.
- The swimming pools include 1 glass roof covered, 2 kids-only and 1 with swimming lane.
- Passenger staterooms include 28 suites, 106 terrace suites, 1522 balcony cabins, 168 oceanviews, 788 inside cabins.
Passenger staterooms (designed by Dordoni Architetti) are decorated depending on deck (city theme). For all passenger cabins were contracted Italian design companies to provide cabin furniture (Molteni & C), matrasses (Dorelan), balcony furniture (Roda), decorative lighting (Flos), fabrics and upholstery (Dedar and Rubelli). Among the contracted 15 Italian brand suppliers are also Kartell (plastic furniture, decorations, lighting, tables, chairs, furnishing accessories), Poltrona Frau (leather furniture-maker) and Alessi (kitchenware, designer utensils, kitchen accessories).
|Owner||Carnival Corporation & plc|
|Port of registry||Genova, Italy|
|Ordered||15 June 2015|
|Laid down||4 July 2018|
|Launched||15 March 2019|
|Sponsored by||Penélope Cruz|
|Christened||22 February 2020|
|Completed||5 December 2019|
|Acquired||5 December 2019|
|Class and type||Excellence-class cruise ship|
|Length||337 m (1,105 ft 8 in)|
|Beam||42 m (137 ft 10 in)|
|Draught||8.8 m (28 ft 10 in)|
|Depth||11.8 m (38 ft 9 in)|
|Installed power||57,200 kW (76,700 hp)|
|Speed||21.5 knots (39.8 km/h; 24.7 mph) (Service speed)|